Summer Fun and Learning

Well my kids are officially out of school! Time to start our summer fun. This year I have decided to keep things a little more simple. We will of course have our bucket list but our "school" work will be a little more laid back (see our bucket list here). With me in school this summer my time is limited. So I decided to run with a theme each week, read books based on the theme, an arts/craft project, 2 letters of the alphabet a week to practice our writing, one fun activity and maybe a stick from our bucket if it correlates. Here are my themes for the 12 weeks:


Week one: Weather, letters a & b
Week two: The Circus, letters c & d
Week three: Wild West, letters e & f
Week four: Fitness. letters g & h
Week five: Camping, letters i & j
Week six: Mad Scientist, letters k & l
Week seven: Beach, letters m & n
Week eight: Ocean, letters o & p
Week nine: Space, letters q & r
Week ten: Pirates, letters s & t
Week eleven: Hawaiian, letters u, v & w
Week twelve: Safari, letters x, y & z

Week one is on weather so here is what we will do this week. I have checked out several books on thunderstorms as they are the kids favorite type of storm. We have a weather map so we will talk about the weather every day and then graph at the end of the week how many sunny days, rain days and so on we had. Have to get's some math in there. Our art project is cutting out a cloud, a lightning bolt and coloring them. Then we will glue some cotton balls on to the cloud.


I have printed out their worksheets for A and B here at Twisty Noodle. I love this site because I can change the font and the text to tailor my boys. Our fun activity is making lighting!! I have some fun facts on thunderstorms to tell the kids as well. I incorporate our theme of the week whenever I can through out the day. For this week I might talk about the weather over our lunch, let the kids watch the weather on the news to determine if we can have a picnic that day or not (oops -  picnic that's a stick in our bucket list!)

There are so many great websites out there with free printable worksheets, craft project ideas, and fun activities to do with the kids. 

I can't wait to start our summer fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment